2026年9月15日星期二

Discovering the Global History of Mathematics

The first thing that surprised me was learning about the idea of the “Dark Ages.” Before reading this article, I did not know much about this period or really understand why it was called the “Dark Ages.” What interested me was learning that this term largely reflects a European perspective on history. While some parts of Europe were experiencing significant changes, mathematics was still developing in other parts of the world, including India, China, and the Islamic world. This made me think about how the same period in history can look very different depending on whose perspective we use. I found the question “Dark for whom?” especially interesting because it made me realize that even the way we describe history can shape how we understand the development of knowledge.

The second thing that surprised me was learning about the connections and exchanges between different cultures, especially between ancient China and India. As a Chinese person, I had always known a few names of ancient Chinese mathematicians and some of the mathematical ideas associated with them, but I had not really thought about Chinese mathematics as part of a larger international history. I found it fascinating that China and India were not simply developing their knowledge separately, but that connections also allowed mathematical and cultural ideas to travel between them. This made me realize that the history of mathematics is much more connected than I had imagined. It also made me want to learn more about ancient Chinese mathematics and its connections with other cultures. I think I still have a lot of my own cultural history to explore more deeply.

The third thing that interested me was the idea that mathematics is also connected to culture and history. Before this reading, I mostly thought about mathematics in terms of concepts, formulas, and problem-solving. Now I am thinking more about the people, cultures, and historical circumstances behind the mathematics we learn today. As a future math teacher, I would like to bring some of this history into my classroom. In particular, I would love to introduce students to aspects of Chinese mathematical history and culture, while also showing them how mathematical ideas have travelled between different cultures. Since China is part of my own background, this could also give my students an opportunity to learn something about where I come from and the history and culture that have shaped me. More importantly, I hope it could help students see mathematics as a human and global story, rather than something that belongs to only one culture.

没有评论:

发表评论