Before reading this article, I thought the history of mathematics could be useful in teaching, but I mostly saw it as something extra that could make math lessons more interesting. As a math teacher, I usually focused on the concepts and methods that students needed to learn, especially for exams. I did not really think about why a certain method was developed or how it changed over time. Looking back, I focused mainly on the mathematical side of math and didn't pay much attention to its historical, social, and cultural sides.
One thing that really made me stop was the discussion about teachers’ lack of historical knowledge and confidence. I have experienced this myself when students asked questions like, “Why do we use this method?” or “Where did this come from?” Sometimes I honestly did not know how to answer. The article made me realize that knowing some math history is also part of becoming a better math teacher. I was also interested in the idea that understanding the historical development of mathematics can help us understand modern mathematics more deeply. It made me think about our class assignment where we used historical methods to solve math problems. Before, I often taught a method simply because the curriculum or an exam required it. Now I think it is also important to ask why we use that method and how it came to be. I also realized that mathematics is not completely separate from society and culture. The article shows that mathematics has connections with areas such as philosophy, art, science, and the humanities, and that the society and culture of a particular time can influence how mathematics develops. This made me see mathematics not just as a collection of formulas and methods, but also as part of the cultural heritage of different civilizations.
After reading, I see the role of math history differently. It is not just about telling students interesting stories about famous mathematicians. It can help students understand why mathematics developed in the way it did and give them a deeper understanding of mathematical ideas. The practical examples in the article also gave me some ideas about how I could bring history into my own classroom. I would like to try some of these approaches during my future practicum and teaching.
I could relate to your example of students asking, “Why do we use this method?” Sometimes we know how to teach a method but not much about why it developed in the first place. I think the article gives a nice reason for us as teachers to learn some of that history too.
回复删除